2018 - 2019 KWJH Physical Education Policy
The Junior High School Physical Education curriculum will concentrate on all areas of physical development. Classes will stress the importance of student participation and sportsmanship while learning and performing various skills - along with encouraging students about nutritional needs and the importance of staying physically fit.
* A P.E. uniform may be purchased at MCM Sports (1302 N. Conway 956-581-1632) or a student
may bring their own shirt / shorts / warm up pants (school color preferred - 5"-7" shorts). Tennis
shoes must be worn and are considered part of the uniform. Clothing worn to school cannot be
worn during PE class.
* All students will be issued out a locker and will need to purchase a lock for their locker.
* No jewelry may be worn during PE class. NO cell phones or electronic devices in the gym / locker
room. No sandals or short tights may be worn.
* A handwritten parent excuse from physical activity will be honored for a maximum of 1 day.
* A physician's medical excuse will be required for anything more than 2 days. If a student cannot do
any physical activity for more than 2 days a supplement activity / assignment will be provided.
ENGAGE (PARTICIPATION) IN ALL ACTIVITIES
ATTEND CLASS EVERYDAY DRESSED IN PE ATTIRE
GOOD POSITIVE ROLE MODELS
LOOK AND LISTEN WHEN SPOKEN TO OR IF WHISTLE IS BLOWN
ENTER IN APPROPRIATE AREAS
SECURE ALL BELONGINGS IN LOCKER AND OUT OF VIEW
1. 1st time - Verbal warning
2. 2nd time - Verbal warning and phone call to parents
3. 3rd time - Verbal warning, phone call to parents, plus teacher / student / parent conference
and referral to principal.
Everyone starts the week with a 100%. If you do not dress out, you will lose 20 points for everyday not dressed and 10 points off for everyday you do not participate.
Dress Out 45% (Daily)
Participation / Skills 45% (Formative)
Six Weeks Test 10% (Summative)
MISSION CISD PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION TEACHERS EXPECTATIONS
* To meet the needs of the Mission CISD Students by maintaining student by student accountability.
* Continue to implement Goals Established in the Mission CISD District Plan.
* Continue to implement and promote the Goals established in the Mission CISD Wellness Policy.
* Continue to implement a TEKS based Health and Physical Education curriculum at all campuses.
CATCH Curriculum will be implemented from K-8.
* For the Mission CISD Physical Education & Health teachers to teach and emphasize to our
students the concepts of how to establish Healthy behaviors and make Health Choices in all of
the components of Good Health.
* For our students to learn and understand the physical benefits of leading an active life style and
how proper nutrition and exercise leads to improvements within our body as opposed to leading
a sedentary lifestyle, and having poor eating habits that can contribute to many chronic illnesses.
* Introduce the Lifetime Fitness Concept and Pledge to our students.
* Will implement writing opportunities in PE classes, one in each scheduled activity / unit, and in
Health, one in every Chapter;
1. Elementary - provide a writing opportunity related to activity being covered which students will
take home for homework and Classroom Teacher will proofread.
2. Middle Schools - provide a prompt related to activity / topic being covered on Unit Tests /
Chapter Tests in which students will practice their writing skills.
3. High Schools - provide a prompt related to activity / topic being covered on Unit Tests /
Chapter Tests in which students will practice their writing skills. The required prompts are as
follows; 9th grade = Expository prompts and for 10th grade = Persuasive prompts.
* Provide regularly moderate to vigorous physical activity;
1. Elementary - provide at least 30 minutes per day or 135 minutes per week.
2. Middle Schools - provide at least 30 minutes per day for 4 semesters